Monday, July 7, 2008

Still life with Pomegranates -- Pomegranate Week Day One

Pomegranate, it seems, is the new vanilla. Instead of a few lonely bottles languishing in the produce section, Pom now markets several blends of pomegranate juices and iced teas; you can get pomegranate tea blends, pomegranate candy and I'm surprised Starbucks hasn't figured a way to try to make pomegranate and coffee work together, although I suspect they offer a pomegranate Italian soda. The other day Darkrose found out that Dryers sells a mixed box of no-calorie made-with-real-juice popsicles in pomegranate blends--they're pretty good too.

And of course perfume and body products are right there in the vanguard, just about everyone offers something with pomegranate. In fact, reading the reviews of the major perfume and niche houses over at Now Smell This I see that some people feel that pomegranate has been used too much recently.

Me? I love it. And so I declare this week to be "All Pomegranate Week" here at IMNKMAL.

First off, I'll start with a basic.

Midnight Pomegranate from Bath & Body Works is cheating a little, because it's about as far from indie and small business as you can get. On the other hand, not only is it really really hard to beat BBW sale prices, but this is a very commonly and inexpensively duped fragrance, making it easy for smaller etailers to offer a full range of bath and body products in the scent.

It is the quintessential sweet fruity scent and it's probably aimed at a much younger woman than I am. Looking at the listing for the Body Splash is kind of funny because they say: Top Notes: Pomegranate, Sparkling Citrus, Dewberry, Anise, Cinnamon, Nutmeg; Mid Notes: Cassis, Black Berry, Iris, Jasmine, Raspberry; Base Notes: Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Tobacco, Patchouli. Honestly? All I get is a the pomegrante and maybe a little cassis, sweet vanilla and a very sweet musk. To be fair, I haven't tried the Eau d' Toilette; maybe it's more complex than the Body Splash. I also have the Shower Gel and the Body Cream--their mid-weight lotion--and it's all very much the same. If you use the gel, the scent clings just a little around after your shower, which helps amp the pomegranate if when you wear another pomegranate fragrance such as BPAL's Swank or Love Song. If you can handle the sweetness, the shower gel, body cream and body splash combo is perfect for a warm day spent running around. Layered that way, or even on its own, the Body Splash has pretty remarkable staying power and if you spritz generously, it's got a decent throw/sillage for what it is.

You can get just about every scented product BBW carries, including their anti-bacterial line and their home fragrances, in Midnight Pomegranate. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but that's because it's easy enough to wait and then go wild during one of their sales.

I think I like it and other sweet pomegranate scents aimed at the 17-25 yo market because of a scent memory. The very first perfume I ever wore was Spiritual Sky's Raspberry Essential Oil, which is a painfully sweet raspberry with no subtlety at all. Occasionally, I don't mind revisiting that time when a nice shot of uncomplicated, unsophisticated, sugared fruit made me feel pretty.

I mentioned a give away the other day; more about that tomorrow.

0 comments: