Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Madness to My Method -- Part Six

6. My thoughts on naturals vs synthetics.

Unless you grow the plants yourself, distill them into tinctures and blend them into oil from a certified organic grower, you honestly just don't know what you're getting when you talk about something "natural." It doesn't help that "natural" and "green" are phrases that can be tossed around without necessarily meaning anything; unlike the USDA, which can certify food as organic, the FDA (which covers perfume, bath & body products and the like) can't.

Furthermore, there's the environmental factor to consider. Sandalwood, for example, is in high demand; is it more ethical and green to use natural oil or to refine a synthetic so vast numbers of trees aren't cut down or to use a slightly inferior oil from a grower who replants? Also, some classic perfume additives are animal in nature; is real civet more ethical than the synthetic version, given that you have to either kill the animal or harvest the musk from a live animal in way that is painful to the animal?

I honestly don't have answers as to whether all natural is a) possible at all and b) as green and/or ethical as we'd like to think. On the other hand, synthetics are chemically produced and there are undoubtedly waste products that might not be disposed of properly, plus there is the fact that I really do like the idea of an all natural product.

I think that, for me, it has to come down to a balancing act. I'm not well off, far from it; I'm disabled and my partner and I pretty much live on her salary--she does IT help at a university--supplemented by my very small Social Security check. I have to shop carefully for everything, both necessary stuff and frivolous things. I do my best to buy locally and to purchase organics when I can afford them and I do what I can around the house to lower my carbon footprint.

When it comes to perfume, I trust that the perfumers I patronize are using the best materials they can to produce the best product they can within a price people can afford. I trust them when they say that they don't test on animals. And I trust them, as part of an culture that strives to be independent and aware, to walk as lightly on the Earth as they can.

I can't ask more of them than I ask of myself.

* * * *

This is the end of the Method posts. Hopefully either tomorrow or Monday will see a new set of reviews, including still life with pomegranates and maybe a give away.

0 comments: