Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cool, Crisp and...Gone -- Boronia Eau de Cologne by The Scented Djinn

Tonight--I've decided to be honest here; I rarely review anything until sometime after ten, so saying "today" is a little misleading. Anyway, tonight, I'm sniffing Boronia Eau de Cologne from The Scented Djinn, which, by the way, is an awesome name for a perfume company.

"a contemporary take on a classic eau de cologne featuring the typical citrus sparkle of an EdC matched with the floral magic of boronia. This blend includes bergamot, lemon essence (from the juice, not the peel), neroli, lavandin absolute, rosemary, orange flower tincture, vanilla tincture, yuzu, oregano tincture, orris butter and boronia."

I'd never heard of Boronia before, and sadly, the Wikipedia article on it is kind of lacking in information. However, my google-fu did turn up this very lovely set of photos. So yes, once again, I'm sniffing blind, as it were.

Edit: The most recent post at Oh, True Apothecary talks about boronia, so now I know more than I did last night when I was reviewing this.

It opens with a sharp, cold burst of citrus; I really get the lemon and the yuzu more than anything else. Almost immediately on the dry down, I can smell the neroli and the vanilla and another floral note that has to be the boronia. Unfortunately, I'm trying this from a sample vial when it really needs to come from a spray bottle, so it's hard to get enough on me at enough strength to review because just ten minutes in and my skin has soaked it up like crazy, even though I made sure to use lotion before hand.

What lingers, however, is lovely. The citrus has died down and what's left is a nice vanilla flavored floral that isn't too strong on either the vanilla or the flowers. Nor is it too sweet. In fact, it's very much what an eau de cologne should be, crisp and refreshing and light. I hope she starts selling this in bigger bottles, because right now all you can get is a dram. A bigger bottle with an atomizer would be a lovely thing to have in my purse this summer. I mgiht just have to pick up a couple drams and dump...er, decant, them into an atomizer.

Also, check out her blog, Oh, True Apothecary, for insights into the life of a natural perfumer.

0 comments: