Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BPAL's Lunar Update and some thoughts on the BPAL business model

So for some reason or other, there are two Lunar blends available from BPAL this month. Normally the Lunacy LEs don't interest me much, in most cases if I want anything from those updates, it's the shirts. But this month....

Hay Moon (which I totally want to spell Hai Moon) -- Hay absolute, tall grasses, dry honey, mallow, cardamom, amber, and wheat.

Mead Moon -- Golden mead, fermented with gruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

Hay Moon sounds good (cardamom is one of those notes that I adore) and Mead Moon sounds fantastic. Sadly, I've pretty much blown the sweetly-scented portion of budget for the month. Of course, there are the decant circles where I could pick up an imp, but then you run the risk of falling in love with an LE that's no longer available.

Which brings me to my thoughts on LEs (let me show you them).

I really have problems with the whole Limited Edition thing. I understand it from a retail point of view, but that doesn't mean that I like it from a consumer stand point. There's this Pokemom mentality that's all too easy to get caught up in.

I don't think there's anything wrong with spending money to collect perfume, it's just that the whole "gotta get 'em all" mentality confuses me at times. I can't wear anything with rose or cream accord, which means a lot of Beth's (or anyone else's) blends are right out for me and I can't imagine why I'd buy everything in an update if I couldn't wear half of the blends.

I've never asked anyone who does this because it seems like a judgmental question, but it's not really. I just wonder....

0 comments: