Monday, June 30, 2008

Addendum: Pyramid of Khafre

So I wrote the Pyramid of Khafre review around 1:30 or so this morning. At about 4am, just about the time we were getting ready for bed, I sniffed my wrist and it smelled fantastic. It was spicy lavender with an almost effervescent undernote, perfumey in very good way. Which, on the one hand, is great. It's another thing that smells good on me and it's a real departure from the sort of thing I normally wear. On the other hand...I really don't want to have to wait that long to like what I'm wearing. Yes this has some amazing staying power--twelve hours after applying it lightly, it's still present on my wrist--and a halfway decent throw, but who wants to wait two to three hours for their perfume to actually smell good?

I have recently learned that the technical term for "throw", or "how far away from you, the wearer, can your perfume be smelled" is "sillage". It's French and it also means the wake of a ship, which makes sense. But, while I'm all about using the proper terminology, I don't know that I like the way the word sounds. Which, yeah, is totally not the reason not to use it. The reason I might stick with "throw" or use both, is that most of the forums I've been on use it and bringing in a new term might confuse readers.

Speaking of terminology, shoot me if I ever call any of this "juice." Just...no.

0 comments: