Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BPAL LE reviews and yes, another auction

So, I promised some reviews today and I fully intend to do them now that it's a little cooler--our a/c is on the fritz and it's been pretty warm in the house today.

I actually put up two more things in the Live Long N Marry auction, things that are actually relevant to this blog: two BPAL LEs. It seems a little counter-intuitive to review things I didn't like but am trying to get someone to buy, but hey, what doesn't work for me will work for someone else.

Love's Philosophy (Lupercalia 2008; vanilla, saffron and cream). Forum post with descriptions and reviews and my auction post -- Saffron and vanilla...oh this should have been right up my alley. My first sniff gave me the impression of a very buttery, and kind of warm, vanilla, like maybe a vanilla glaze type frosting made with butter. Then, sadly, the cream note hits. This was the last time I bought anything with a cream note because it was pretty much confirmation that I simply can't wear cream accords; they just smell weird and artificial on me. For the most part, this isn't a problem; I don't normally like the extremely foody scents. Drinky scents, yes, but I don't really want to smell like a cupcake unless I'm eating one.

Numb (July of 2005, no notes given, pale, cool, powdery floral). Forum post with descriptions and reviews and my auction post. -- Beth at BPAL had originally planned to release this as part of the '05 Yultide Edition but then there was a horrible heat wave in LA and she released it in July.

Trying to review a perfume when none of the notes are listed is a tricky business and it's always interesting to go to the forum and read the things people come up with. I ordered this hoping for something cold and minty--Sacramento was in the middle of the same heat wave LA was--but what I got instead was a very powdery floral. It is actually a cool "feeling" scent, but I'm a child of the '70s and powder always makes me think either of my grandmother or of Love's Baby Soft*, and I'd really rather not smell like either.


**Good Lord, they still sell Love's Baby Soft although I bet they don't use the creepy ad they did back then.

0 comments: