Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Perfume/Bath & Body Product Reviews -- Blooddrop & Lush

Blooddrop Clothing & Fineries -- Astrid is a corset maker and perfumer who looks to be very talented at both. I can't actually afford to pick up a corset from her, but I've purchased perfume and bath products from her and I will certainly purchase more.

Gel Moussant and Lotion de Soja in Delicieuse -- Thick and sultry honey and vanilla with a sassy kiss of peppermint.

I tired the Gel Moussant and it's lovely. It lathered up nicely on the bath pouf and smelled heavenly, like a candy cane dipped in honey. I'd picked that scent because I figured I could layer it with the lotion and then with either BPAL's Lick It or Possets' The Girls Love Vanilla.

Sadly, the lotion was a problem. I liked the lightness of it; my skin isn't really all that dry and so lighter lotions work perfectly well on me. This one sank in and left me feeling smooth but not greasy, unlike some of the butters I've tried. The problem was the scent and it's a me thing: sometimes vanillas smell like burned plastic on me and sometimes they don't. It's a little strange that this works in the bath gel and not in the lotion, but body chemistry is a weird thing.

Perfume Oil Blends

The (un)Poisoned Tea Cup -- Spring 08 LE -- Fortunately for the drinker, this cup of pomegranate black tea was left unscathed. This one is exactly as advertised, down to the faint tannin/bitter note of the black tea. The pomegranate is just the way it would be in a tea blend; it's not like sweetened juice or pomegranate syrup has been added to the tea. It does sweeten up a tad but never gets really sweet the way BPAL's Swank and Fruit of Paradise get. Sadly the tea eventually fades, as all tea notes do on me, but since it hung in there for about a half hour, I'm actually pretty impressed. I'm ordering more of this and some of the bath gel and maybe some lotion in the same scent.

L’Shana Tova -- General Catalog -- May you have a sweet new year! Apples and honey. At first something went really plastic on me with this one and I almost went and scrubbed it off. But then, someone was being wrong on the internet and after about ten minutes spent informing them of how wrong they were, I sniffed my wrist again and it smelled lovely, all sweet and appley (appleish? apple-like?). I'm learning that I really do like honey scents and this one is a lovely addition to the collection.

Lush -- The current champ in the innovative, handmade bath and body products market, Lush's stuff comes with a pretty hefty price tag for what you get. Fortunately, you can also shop through their amazon.com storefront and I had a gift certificate.

Sexy Peel Bar Soap -- No time for a nap? Take a shower with this glorious handmade soap replete with lemon, lime and grapefruit to invigoratingly rejuvenate your senses. ZOMG citrus! There's an odd undernote that's almost chemical smelling, but mostly this is a nice blast of citrus in a pretty yellow bar. I found it left my skin a little dryer than it is when I used my normal oatmeal and almond bar, but that's only to be expected with that much citrus oil mixed in.

Ocean Salt -- Generous portions of fine and coarse sea salt line the rim of an enriching facial scrub to wash away everyday grime. Ocean Salt refreshes, nourishes, and tones, all while smelling deliciously of violet and lime. Butters of the avocado and coconut variety take the edge off, moisturizing and softening your face to reveal a brighter you. The scent on this one really doesn't wow me at all, in fact I rather dislike it. On the other hand, I utterly love the way my face felt after just one use, all smooth and soft and clean. It's far better than I usually feel after my normal exfoliant, but I need to wait and see if I can use it daily or if it will be too harsh.

0 comments: